[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] When the Gods Came Down

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 6 19:14:08 UTC 2005

BOOK REVIEW:
Alan F Alford: "When the Gods Came Down - The Catastropic
Roots of Religion Revealed". Hodder & Stroughton London 2000

I found this book very hard not to put down. There are a lot of
quotes and some of these are useful, but the turgid text is far
from moreish. Alford recognizes that cultural memories of catas-
trophic physical events are at the core of cult activity around
the world, especially with Judaism, Islam and Christianity. He
interprets this as "proof" of the validity of religion.

He says falling "mountains" were part of Heaven, where the
stuff of Apocalypse aka Revelations actually happened. The
Garden of Eden was on another planet called Heaven. In
keeping with the ideological agenda Alford dedicates his work
"To the Lady of Life".  At the end of his preface he says:

        "Ultimately it is to modern science that we must turn if
        we are to judge whether the secret "truth" of the ancients
        is, or is not, a Truth with a capital "T". It is in the depths
        of space that NASA and the Vatican must seek scientific
        knowledge concerning the lost paradise of man and the
        fingerprints of God."

Arthur C Clark touched on that theme in a short story when he has
a Jesuit priest on a starship that discovers the original Star of
Bethlehem. The Jesuit handles the discovery with dignity and
rationalism. Alan F Alford maintains an opposite view and my
prime beef is that the publisher lacked the decency to label this
silly book as the fiction that it is. (I am also struck by the
incongruous funniness of the title and subtitle.)

Lawrie Williams _____

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program