[extropy-chat] Virtual Reality psychodramas

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:21:29 UTC 2005

Researchers at the University of Buffalo (UB) are producing immersive
virtual reality (VR) dramas in which the users are given some goals at
the beginning and are interacting with 'self-aware' computational
agents. The UB Reporter writes that they are putting a new face on
'user-friendly' VR environments. They already created a psychodrama
called "The Trial The Trail" in which "the user is given two
companions named Filopat and Patofil and told that at the end of her
experience she will get her heart's desire." And because the software
agents are continuously improving and 'improvising' around human
users, the show is different every time. I don't know if this will
lead to some mainstream application, but I'm sure that the researchers
had lots of fun in their CAVEs-like systems.
http://www.primidi.com/2005/03/05.html#a1129