[extropy-chat] Faculty X

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 7 21:21:54 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> That may be true, but I'm just using 'atheist' for a
> catchall to
> describe those who lack any tendency to the mystical
> or any hint of the
> experience itself.

Then you are attempting to redefine the word.  What
you mean by "atheist" in this instance is not what
most people mean by "atheist", and specifically is
not what most people understand "atheist" to mean.

It is a basic error, in communication, to attempt
redefinitions like this.  It practically always
results in people misunderstanding what one says,
usually to the point of producing hurt feelings.
Indeed, producing hurt feelings is almost the only
possible deliberate use of it, since it fails so often
at accomplishing anything else.

Since producing hurt feelings in and of itself is
almost always not desired, it is reccomended that you
never, ever try redefinitions like this.  Always use
the meanings of the words that other people use, lest
people think you are trying to general hurt feelings.
(In short, don't be a troll, for your own sake.)