[extropy-chat] Cute video about the future

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Mon Mar 7 22:59:13 UTC 2005

NTT DoCoMo has a cute 10-minute video showing the world of 201X,
at http://www.docomo-usa.com/vision2010/.  It includes widespread use
of video phones, wireless electronic wallets and payments, and haptic
(remote touch) technology.  Oh, yeah, the self-driving car.

I had a few quibbles; one was the use of apparent "holographic" displays,
which aren't physically possible AFAIK.  The other was the wrist video
phone concept, which I would think would make the camera wiggle around
too much (but maybe a wide field of view combined with video stabilizing
software would work).  I also thought the haptic thing wasn't quite right,
you couldn't reach out and touch something unless you had someone at
the other end moving their gloves in synchrony with yours.

I'd love to see a visualization of Vinge's concept of universal augmented
reality, with everyone wearing special glasses and the whole world a mix
of animation and reality.  It's more like a 202X technology but it would
be so cool to see.  People appearing as ghosts, see-through walls and
buildings, directional arrows floating in the air, clothes and houses
decorated with virtual accessories, computer windows appearing at will
out of thin air.

Hal