[extropy-chat] ANNOUCEMENT: New Book "More Than Human" Released Today

Ramez Naam mez at morethanhuman.org
Tue Mar 8 20:10:46 UTC 2005

Pardon the list abuse, but as some of you on these lists know, I spent a good chunk of the last two years working on a book related to transhumanism.  Well, it's out!  The book is titled "More Than Human" and it's a non-fiction look at the potential to use biotechnology to make people stronger, smarter, and longer lived.  It covers scientific research in these fields over the last decade, prospects for the next decade or two, and a number of social, economic, and policy issues they bring up.

You can read more about the book - including some great reviews it's been getting in the mainstream press, at http://www.morethanhuman.org/

A number of people in this community helped me out in the writing of this book.  Among them are James Hughes, Aubrey de Grey, Damien Broderick, Rafal Smigrodzki, Brett Paatsch, Chris Phoenix, and  Robert Bradbury.  Thank you all!

A frequent topic of conversation on these lists is how to get transhumanist/extropian ideas out into the mainstream meme pool.  One way to do that is to help popularize this book.  So now I'm asking for YOUR help to make the book a success!  There are five things you can do to help boost its popularity:

1) BUY THE BOOK!

Click here to buy a copy of my book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/0767918436

The more you buy, the higher I'll rate on Amazon and possibly on other lists.  The higher it ranks, the more other people will buy the book!

2) BUY RELATED BOOKS!

If you buy related books on Amazon, people who look at those books will see a link to More Than Human!  So if you've been thinking about buying any of the following books, buy them now!

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/0316172324/

Collapse by Jared Diamond
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/0670033375/

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/0393317552

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/076790818X/

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/detail/-/0618005838/

or any of Amazon's best selling popular science books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=morethanhuman1-20&path=tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/books/75

3) SUBMIT A REVIEW TO AMAZON!

Once you've read the book (or now if you've read it already), go back to the Amazon page and write up a review.  Don't feel obliged to make it a 5 star review.  Users can sniff out phoney reviews.  Just write what you honestly think.

4) POST TO YOUR BLOG!

If you have a blog, including a livejournal, post a link to the Amazon page for my book to your blog.  That'll cause the book to pop up on sites that track which books are being most discussed and most linked to in the blogosphere.  (Like Technorati's BookTalk: http://www.technorati.com/live/products.html )

5) FORWARD THIS MAIL!

If you know others who you think would be interested in the book, tell them about it or forward this mail!  Especially if they're people I don't know.

Thank you all for your help.  With your assistance and a little luck, the ideas in this book may get out there in front of a lot of people.

Ramez Naam