[extropy-chat] of all there is to worry about

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 8 20:29:36 UTC 2005

--- Ned Late <nedlt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You're worried about religionists with double
> standards who might deny others the benefits of
> transhumanism they will enjoy for themselves? Geesh.
> That is worrying!

Hey, it's a problem we're likely to have to deal with
sooner or later.  But maybe we can benefit from the
problem by using the fear of this to gain public
support.  ("Life extension will be invented.  Would
you rather the rich develop it just for themselves, or
would you rather it be developed out in the open where
everyone, including you, will benefit from it?")

I do know that the only coherent argument I've heard
against transhumanism is the necessity of making sure
the benefits don't accrue just to a small subset of
humanity.  (Else the rest of humanity has a perceived
interest in making sure it doesn't happen period: the
biological instinct for fairness.  If it looks like
it'll go to a situation where the benefits won't be
shared and the rest of humanity won't be able to do a
thing to force them to be shared...)