[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 20:38:27 UTC 2005

--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> > From: ""Hal Finney"" <hal at finney.org>
>
> >From this perspective, the existence of (some particular conception
> of) God, like the existence of fairies, ghosts, mermaids and other
> supernatural creatures, can be given a probability estimate despite
> its
> superficially unique nature.  No actual recurrence is necessary.
>
> I'd like to know whether either of these lines of argument shed light
> on the question of why we cannot ascribe a probability to the
> existence of God.

We already know we have one unique event that probabilities have been
assigned to: the odds that the universe would naturally happen
'accidentally'. Scientists have ascribed a lot of brain sweat to the
estimate. If it is considered reliable, then we ought to be able to
assign similar probabilities to other unique events.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com