[extropy-chat] Alzheimer's & Type 3 Diabetes?

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 01:17:46 UTC 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4315609.stm

Study suggests 'type 3 diabetes'

Scientists say they may have discovered a previously
unknown form of diabetes, after finding the brain
produces insulin as well as the pancreas.

Unlike other types of diabetes, the form - dubbed type
3 by the US Brown Medical School team - is not thought
to affect blood sugar [...] and appears to be linked
with Alzheimer's disease.

The abstract:

Journal of Alzheimers Disease, 2005 Feb;7(1):63-80.

Impaired insulin and insulin-like growth factor
expression and signaling mechanisms in Alzheimer's
disease - is this type 3 diabetes?

"The strikingly reduced CNS expression of genes
encoding insulin, IGF-I, and IGF-II, as well as the
insulin and IGF-I receptors, suggests that AD may
represent a neuro-endocrine disorder that resembles,
yet is distinct from diabetes mellitus. Therefore, we
propose the term, 'Type 3 Diabetes' to reflect this
newly identified pathogenic mechanism of
neurodegeneration."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15750215

http://IanGoddard.net

David Hume on induction: "When we have lived any time,
and have been accustomed to the uniformity of nature,
we acquire a general habit, by which we always
transfer the known to the unknown, and conceive the
latter to resemble the former. By means of this
general habitual principle, we regard even one
experiment as the foundation of [empirical] reasoning,
and expect a similar event with some degree of
certainty."