[extropy-chat] Re: Overconfidence and meta-rationality

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:54:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:53:14 -0800 (PST), "Hal Finney" <hal at finney.org> wrote:
> In a way, then, Aumann can be read as giving you license to feel
> contempt for others.  He's saying that it is mental hypocrisy (if that
> means anything!) to try to adopt that generous and polite stance I just
> described.  When we try to convince ourselves that we really believe
> this noble fiction (that the other person is rational and honest), we are
> lying to ourselves.

For reference, anytime I say something to the effect of "I respect
that you're not being irrational, but I still disagree with you", or
something that implies such, I am not lying to either myself or the
person I'm talking to - I'm simply holding the position that Aumann
(if he's saying what you represent him as saying) is full of shit.

- Russell