[extropy-chat] Good application of GMO

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 05:24:46 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
> Subject: [extropy-chat] Good application of GMO
>
> >From the Wikipedia:
> ... The larvae of the large mosquito
> are predatory on other mosquito larvae."
>
> It seems to me that genetically engineering other mosquito species to
> live by a Toxorhynchites lifestyle would go a long way to mitigating
> mosquito borne diseases around the world, malaria most of all, which is
> making a resurgence around the world as drug resistance increases as is
> population. Mike Lorrey

Oh to breed mosquitoes that devour other mosquitoes, that would
be just too good.  No wait, that would be too kind a fate for
the wretched bastards.  We need to create mosquitoes that
seek out other mosquitoes and buzz incessantly around the
other mosquitoes ears as they try to sleep, and keep it up until
the other mosquitoes go mad!  We need to make them to where they
don't actually slay and devour the other mosquitoes, but rather
just bite the other mosquitoes!  Repeatedly!  Until they
itch themselves raw!  It would warm the cockles of my
backpacker's heart so good to see two mosquitoes biting
each other simultaneously, especially if one had malaria
and the other had herpes, muhaaahahahahahaaaa.

I dislike mosquitoes.