[extropy-chat] beams & motes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 18:38:32 UTC 2005

At 12:48 AM 3/13/2005 -0800, Hal wrote:

>It's easier to see the mote in another's eye than the beam in your own,
>as Jesus reminds us.

Well, he was a carpenter so you'd expect him to know what he is talking
about when it comes to workplace accidents with beams. But I'm not too sure.

If you've got a plank stuck in your eye, that's going to make it hard to
see anything, let alone a splinter in someone else's eye. True, the beam
might be protruding from one eye, and you are examining the mote guy with
the other. That's assuming he is going to let you anywhere near him. This
is all a bit "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" for my tastes.

On the other hand, when I'm looking for a mote in someone else's eye, I
always shine a beam in first.

Frankly, I'd consult an ophthalmologist rather than a carpenter or a mystic.

Damien Broderick