[extropy-chat] Atheism in Decline

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 23:56:59 UTC 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:19 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Why is it important whether we live in a sim or not: if we live in a
> sim, then there is the possibility of life beyond the sim, and of life
> beyond the sim for those who were born in the sim.

By definition there is life beyond the sim or at least automated
hardware running it.

>  Reconciling this
> issue I think is of immense importance in reconciling transhumanism
> with the theist majority, such that we are able to construct a
> constructive, productive, and peaceful future, and not one riven by
> transhuman/luddite strife and misery.

I still don't see how this (likely being in a sim) makes any such
difference.  There are too many possible sim scenarios that do not
support any notion of a god much less one near that of most theists.
So precisely how does this follow?

I can and have construct sim-inclusive arguments that do do a
reasonable job of supporting a God but not one very similar at all to
what most theist claim.  So even having done some number of iterations
of such speculative theology I still don't see where you/we get the
benefit you are suggesting.

- samantha