[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Mon Mar 14 23:19:36 UTC 2005

At 02:28 PM 11/03/05 -0800, Hal Finney wrote:

>Personally I'm a big fan of conservation of momentum.

snip

Me too.  Also conservation of energy.

And unidirectional thrust, if it is not velocity dependent (and reference
frames are supposed to all be the same) can be shown to violate the
conservation of energy by a simple thought experiment.

Just suspend the gadget at the end of a long arm in a vacuum, let it
accelerate to some arbitrary velocity such that you can lower a wheel with
a generator (or tap the hub of the suspension system) and make more power
than it takes to generate the thrust.

I am not opposed to unidirectional thrust devices, would love to see one
(bought the Dean Drive patent from the PO when I was in high school) but
folks really should be aware that it isn't just conservation of momentum
that gets lost if you can make one.

Keith Henson