[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 16:23:42 UTC 2005

--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, spike wrote:
>
> >> If Mach's Principle is true, and inertia is the whole universe
> >> resisting your acceleration (when gravity is light speed
> dependent,
> >> thus must have a time travel component to resist your push when
> you
> >> push), there has to be a way to use it to lever one's spaceship
> against
> >> the entire universe in return.
> >>
> >> Mike Lorrey
> >

> >If this drive works, then AC Clarke's disappointing ending to
> >his otherwise excellent Rendezvous with Rama suddenly makes
> >a lot of sense.
> >
> >spike
>
> I don't see how such a propulsion system must be wrong a priori. The
> so called "vacuum" has a dielectric constant, has a lot of weird
> spacetime and quantum properties, now maybe it's full of dark
> energy pushing galaxies far from each other. If there was some way
> to push against it that wouldn't surprise me at all.

It is good to see at least one or two scientific types here who are
objective enough to openly consider what is going on.

See also:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/ComnErr.html#ELECTROSTATIC%20ANTIGRAVITY

In the conclusion, after doing their best to destroy the concept, they
say, "But What If ?... There are, however, still some unresolved
issues.  Specifically, during the Talley tests (referenced above),
anomalous forces were observed during the on/off transients --
anomalies that were never resolved."

This is what Naudin has shown: constant high voltage thrust is much
lower, while pulsed power, creating a constant stream of transient
voltage changes, seems to create a lot more thrust that is harder to
dismiss with the old 'ion wind' canard. Space does have a dielectric
constant. The "ion wind" phenomenon, which masks the real field effect
thrust, consumes far more energy per newton than the field effect does
because the molecules provide a transport medium for electron leakage.

As Maxwell showed in the 19th century, energy is stored in a capacitor
not in the plates, but in the dielectric medium, by putting stress upon
the dielectric material. If space has a dielectric constant, it also
must have a 'material' for the energy put into it to stress. Thus,
space isn't a vacuum with respect to field mechanics.

One of my own theories, in how such a device would bias inertia, is
that the field shapes the probabilities of the orbits of the electrons
in the plates in an asymmetric manner such that the electrons orbit in
a way similar to the masses in the Dean Drive, but they do so further
up into the near-relativistic velocity range, and as a result, the
masses of these electrons change as they go through their orbits, thus
changing the reaction of inertia against their change in angular
momentum.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com