[extropy-chat] Re: Athiesm in decline

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Mar 17 01:02:07 UTC 2005

Joseph Bloch wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
>> Well, I'd say that Transhumanism in itself could well become a
>> religion. It has all the features of one.
>>

> Can you expand on this? What sort of features do Transhumanism and
> religion have in common?
>
> Not saying I disagree... just interested in hearing your take.

Original Sin (being Human), Salvation (technology), Apocalypse
(Singularity), God (AI), Miracles (nanotech), Heaven (Posthumanity,
uploading)

"A Romantic longing for a lost world that never was, but which may yet be.
A call from a Middle Earth that lies in the future, not the mythical past.
A faith in the transformation of Humanity into something infinitely better.
A world renewed and cleansed - becoming a celebration of life and Earth.
The excitement of discovery and the adventure of magical technologies.
An exploration stretching from the subatomic to the trans-galactic.
Freedom from material constraints.
Mind freed from matter.
Imagination freed from necessity.
The world made fluid and malleable.
A new Heaven and a new Earth where all tears shall be wiped away."

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org