[extropy-chat] unidirectional thrust

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 04:25:55 UTC 2005

Fine, now use the same equations to show how a Bussard Ramjet is also
over unity by your definition.

<http://www.geocities.com/ekpworld/doc/EKP_satellite_maneuvering.doc>,
> which is the only one I have found which actually claimed to have
> measured
> lifter thrust in air and in vacuum.  The author reported a thrust of
> 2.38
> mN in atmosphere and 0.31 mN in vacuum, with his setup (much smaller
> than
> the one used by Naudin).  That would imply that lifter vacuum thrust
> is
> 0.13 times that in atmosphere.
>
> So, instead of my previous analysis using Naudin's lifter which gave
> 0.3 Newtons of force, I will scale that down by this factor of 0.13
> and take the force in vacuum as 0.039 N.  With a 20 kg device that is
> an acceleration of .00195 m/s/s.  To go to geometric units, we divide
> that acceleration by c and get an acceleration of 6.5E-12/sec.
>
> Let's see how things are cooking after 60 days of acceleration.  This
> is 5.184 million seconds.  Our device has been drawing 132.9 Watts,
> times 5.184 million seconds is about 690 MJ.  That's how much power
> we've used.

Other errors: you are applying fixed DC when you need to convert that
to pulsed DC and correct for phase angle of the capacitor on the power
factor.

Try these equations:
F= 3.55x10^-8 V^0.722
where F is newtons and V is kilovolts
figure on a thrust to power ratio of 0.00025 newton per applied watt
(not the same as solar panel watt, as turning 12 vdc into 10kv 70 hz
pulsed dc or higher is not quite so easy, plus you need to deal with
the phase angle).

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com