[extropy-chat] Mars Colonies Coming Soon?

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 06:58:01 UTC 2005

Here's a National Geographic News article on the
possible future colonization of Mars. [1] Not
mentioned therein is the recent possible discovery of
a frozen ocean of water just below a surface blanket
of dust on Mars. [2] It is suggested that blocks of
ice formed when that ocean ostensibly froze can been
seen on the Martian surface. If there is in fact a
vast quantity of readily accessible pure (or
purifiable) water on Mars, that would certainly be a
tremendous boon to any colonization effort!

[1] Mars Colonies Coming Soon?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/03/0315_050315_marscolony.html

[2] Frozen Sea Once Near Martian Equator?
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1455.html

http://iangoddard.net

David Hume on induction: "When we have lived any time,
and have been accustomed to the uniformity of nature,
we acquire a general habit, by which we always
transfer the known to the unknown, and conceive the
latter to resemble the former. By means of this
general habitual principle, we regard even one
experiment as the foundation of [empirical] reasoning,
and expect a similar event with some degree of
certainty."