[extropy-chat] Mars Colonies Coming Soon?

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 19:28:42 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> Ian Goddard wrote:
>
> >Here's a National Geographic News article on the
> >possible future colonization of Mars. [1] Not
> >

> A man on Mars by 1985!
> Where is Spiro when you really need him...

 Right, albeit that disparity between previously
projected plans and their unfulfillment isn't so much
a measure of what was or is possible but of where our
priorities have been placed.

 And notice the comment in the article: "She said
human lives may be lost during trips to Mars and few
politicians have the will to allow astronauts to die
under their watch." That's true, but how odd. It seems
politicians have little trouble with sending hundreds
of solders to their deaths irrespective of the desires
of those solders and for no demonstrable benefit (see
Iraq) and yet there's terrible trouble with letting a
few astronauts take the risks they would desire to
take. What's up with that?

~Ian