[extropy-chat] we're more of a con to ourselves than Enron

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Mar 18 23:00:34 UTC 2005

Al Brooks wrote:

> If freedom is so uber-important then why do we waste time hunched in
> front of a keyboard, tapping words into cyperspace that have no value
> in the sum total of things? Why do we spend so much time griping about
> how we don't have enough freedom when the time could be used to
> actually BE free? So many are waiting for their ship to come in, and
> when they reach retirement age they are old but "now I've got it made
> in the shade-- I'm in my Golden Years, with metamucil to push some of
> the dross out". Or a 60 year old baby boomer lady who dresses in
> teenage clothes and thinks, "I'm so young and pretty", when she's got
> jowls hanging off her face.
> So, uh,  maybe we don't hold freedom as dear as we think we do?

Communicating is the key to changing the world. Sometimes with big ideas
but more often just passing on a small datum.
As for freedom, I value its fruits not the abstract idea in itself.
As for those 60yr old wannabe teenagers, there is the support we need to
push for anti-ageing tech and the Transhuman vision. It's a question of
spreading the message and convincing them its real and not a joke of a
geek fantasy.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-