[extropy-chat] Science and Fools

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Mon Mar 21 01:23:58 UTC 2005

On Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:11 PM Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu wrote:
[snip and stuff about physicists who think they'd be rich if they went
into business instead]
> But this is just bull, as physicists find out when
> they do venture into these other areas.  Some
> topics are just harder to make progress in.  But
> just because experts today don't know that much
> more than experts two hundred years ago, that
> doesn't mean that experts don't know a hell of a
> lot more than non-experts.

I see the same thing with people when they talk about writing a book.
You know, how many people say they're going to write a book on their
life (or whatever) later in their lives -- as if writing well was
something anyone can do.  How they explain people who write as a career,
I don't know.

I believe many overestimate their talents (me too:) and underestimate
the amount of specialized knowledge, skills, and experience needed in
areas outside their specific vocation or domain.

Regards,

Dan
    See "Free Marker Anarchism: A Justification" at:
http://uweb.superlink.net/~neptune/AnarchismJustified.html