[extropy-chat] Engineered Religion

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 01:21:56 UTC 2005

justin corwin wrote:

> All true statements. All very appealing (at least to this rationalist
> and this truthseeker). But, the subtle shift in conversation here is
> quite nearly unnoticed. We've transitioned to instilling beliefs in a
> mind, to better them and ourselves, to talking about the structure of
> the mind, to fixing it so there is only one answer. Perhaps because
> the theist is muddled in his thinking this blanket approach is valid.
> It's true that Eliezer's objections do entirely refute John C Wright's
> theistic aspirations. But his argument does not directly address his
> points.

So is the point I'm not addressing the idea that we must program AIs
with a modern-day human religion that advocates compassion because
otherwise they'll wipe us out?  I guess I didn't address this point
because it doesn't interest me.  The answer is "That's not how
Friendliness engineering works!", and you, Corwin, can probably
explicate why, without me going into a lecture on things that I've said
before only around ten million times.