[extropy-chat] Re: cryonics (was: Science and Fools)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 22 11:34:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:10:38AM -0600, damien wrote:

> For me, the doubt arises from the issue of continuous identity, as we've

Flat EEG lacunes routinely violate the continuity part of identity, so it's
empirically invalid.

Should we stone these zombies? Clearly, they have no place among us humans.

> discussed here in numerous debates and which I summarized in THE SPIKE. If
> you have teeny little brushes and a really accurate way to copy the Mona
> Lisa paint fleck by paint fleck, is the copy actually the Mona Lisa? Well,

If your copying technique is better than the measuring technique there's no
way to tell which is which.

> no. It's pretty much exactly the same, but exhibit A is the painting that's
> hundreds of years old and exhibit B is a fabrication that closely resembles
> it.

You can't measure history. If you track history, the information is in the
tracker, not the tracked object.