[extropy-chat] social insecurity

Erik Starck es at popido.com
Sun Mar 20 20:19:35 UTC 2005

At 21:58 2005-03-19 spike wrote:
>Are they talking much about this?  How are they proposing
>to deal with it?  Importing legions of young workers?  From
>where?  Africa?  Rural Afghanistan?

There's an ongoing debate in Sweden about this. The solution from the
government is of course, you guessed it, raise the taxes! The fact that we
already have the highest taxes in the world doesn't seem to concern them.

At the same time, about 25% of the population in their working age doesn't
work, so of course there is a pool of people to pick from already. The
first problem is then of course to get these people to work, and for that
to happen new jobs must be created. Something that the current government
is completely incapable of doing. This is a much more urgent issue.

I could go on forever writing about this, but the conclusion is basically
that it's a real political mess that most likely in the end will put an end
to the giant nanny state. The road to get there will be bumpy, though. The
next election in Sweden is in 2006.

Germany is going through a similar transformation but they're slightly
ahead of Sweden. They are seeing the highest unemployment figures since the
30s. Now the government has been forced to lower taxes and reduce benefits
in order to fuel the economy with new jobs.

The thing is, since the inclusion of the former Eastern Europe countries
into EU there is an increasing pressure on the former welfare states to
decrease tax levels. Slovakia is a perfect example of why, with their 19%
flat tax:
"<http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=3fn30gkr35qaa?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Slovakia&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc02a>Slovakia
has introduced a 19% flat tax in 2004; the government was then able to
collect 10 percent more income tax than it had expected, and the number of
new firms registering in Slovakia jumped 12 percent."
http://www.answers.com/topic/flat-tax

So, what will happen now? My guess is that the high tax countries will move
closer to the low tax ones. This will decrease the barriers for young
people from east to move over to the western countries to find work.

At the same time, big things are happening. Major changes that make people
scared. When people are scared they cling on to what they feel is safe. In
Europe in general and Sweden in particular, to most people the Nanny State
is the safest thing in the world. They are gonna cling on hard to it, even
as it goes down.

This is the place where it would be perfect to include an Atlas
Shrugged-quote, but I'll resist the temptation.

--
BR
Erik