[extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:43:44 UTC 2005

There is no "right" to driving a car on a congested highway. Nor is there a
"right" to having a fast computer.

The problem is that lots of people driving on a highway with huge cars
impedes the rights of others. One of the purposes of tax law is to guide
taxpayers towards acts deemed moral or desired by the government: i.e.
buying a house, having children, donating to charity. So tax cuts on cars
that are smaller or use less gas or pollute less would be a way to encourage
people away from buying suburbans as daily commuter vehicles.

To pre-emptively address some responses: of course some people need
suburbans because they have tons of kids or live in the mountains or
whatever. Most SUV drivers don't "need" them specifically and current tax
law encourages SUV purchases (small business tax breaks on 6000lb+ vehicles,
registration fees by cost not by weight, etc etc).

BAL