[extropy-chat] Public Transportation (was suitcase nukes)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 18:18:03 UTC 2005

--- Brian Lee <brian_a_lee at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not against craftsmen buying vehicles that they deem needed for
> their
> line of work. I'm against my accountant buying an expedition because
> it weighs 6200lbs and is tax deductable. There is no reason for the
> gov't to
> encourage this behavior through tax cuts. We may as well make smoking
> tax deductable.

If it encourages people to die of lung cancer before they reach
retirement age, they are saving the taxpayer money in the long term.

I recall the DoD freaked when they implemented anti-smoking/drinking
programs among the enlisted ranks in order to 'save' medical costs
associated with those behaviors. The retirees started living longer,
requiring much more health care for many more years of life, and VA
budgets have gone through the roof.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com