[extropy-chat] Re: cryonics (was: Science and Fools)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 23:07:51 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick replied to Jeff Medina:

> But as you told Ben, this topic is all done-to-death-and-back-again
> archive material. I'm not interested in making a copy of it. :)

It was Jef Allbright who said (effectively) that the topic is all done to
death.

Its very hard to get a meta discussion relating to this topic going that
explores
aspects that haven't been done entirely to death because, quite naturally,
people
on this list are interested and they will ask the questions that interest
them. Then,
its hard not to be rude to them when their interest is genuine. These meta
discussions have a lot of trouble achieving escaped velocity.

I'm not sorry for bringing this up and trying to get meta, (to look at
issues
of judging with respect to idea futures and the nature of degrees of
certainty
in different domains and whether it is possible to resolve certain types of
disagreement) but I'm sorry that getting meta is so hard to do, and I've
almost dragged you into it Damien. And you are so very good at not
getting dragged into it :-)

You are right, I would be pleased to have a copy of you around even if
it wasn't you. But that's me being selfish.

"Alas, poor" Broderick, "I knew him, Horatio", .... 'good thing *I* have
his upload or *I* might have suffered some sort of loss'.

Brett