[extropy-chat] Posthumanity Rising

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Mar 24 05:48:38 UTC 2005

Very interesting.  Part of me is cheering enthusiastically.  Another
part is wondering how we will survive mob resentment and even raw
terror once it is seen that our aspirations are not looney tunes.   In
a highly competitive species under the reality or illusion of scarcity,
most members are going to react quite badly with tremendous fear  to
the idea that they either join the program or become far more obsolete
than any mere technological or knowledge leap today can make them.
It is a harsh world if one is truly obsolete and not economical to
employ in any paid capacity.  We primates react extra badly if we see
our death and the end of all hope before us.   Not everyone will want
to go beyond human as soon as they can.   What happens to them?
Without an answer they have sound reasons to fear.

It may be my own soft pedaling but I have often thought that the best
chance for there ever to be posthumans is to create enough effective
abundance with guaranteed availability to all that no one can
reasonably worry about being able to survive and live welil.  Once that
level of visceral fear is dealt with then I doubt the opposition could
get a lot of traction for hatred toward those that had decided to avail
themselves of opportunities for more.    Posthumans may well be what
makes such universal and growing abundance even possible.

The moral arguments can be strong in our favor.   How can we be moral
and allow everyone to suffer, often horribly, and die now that we can
or fast will be able to do something about it?  How can it be moral to
be happy with just human capabilities to learn, to make a difference,
and generally "to have life and have it more abundantly"?  Given any
sort of choice, how can being merely human be justified for even a
moment when so many difficult and often deadly problems face us that
may be insoluble by mere humans?

That said, I would not be very happy if we ended up with or being
merely super primates with much of our evolutionary wiring intact
within a super powered frame.   In my opinion our deep psychology will
require serious rework to be sane and trustworthy with such abilities.

- samantha