[extropy-chat] History of the portable computer

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Mar 25 21:39:24 UTC 2005

1971.  First "honorary" computer class was for local HS math brainiacs.
  What did they teach us? COBOL on punched cards!   I ran away from
computers and didn't come back till i caught techno-hippie religion
around 77-78 and the first chips for rolling you own were out.  First
real honey paying job was ancient Fortran in 1980 but thankfully not on
punched cards. I've had many bouts of cynicism over the years but never
de-converted.

- samantha