[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 23:50:48 UTC 2005

--- Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal at smigrodzki.org> wrote:
> Quoting Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com>:
>
> > Lets make one thing perfectly clear: Terri Schiavo's responsiveness
> > is no less than the responsiveness of Stephen Hawking. Stephen just
> > has a lot of high tech gizmos he's had years to learn to use to
> > make himself useful in the world. Terri has been denied the same
> > opportunities by
> > her husband and remains in a condition that Stephen would be in
> today given a similar level of neglect.
> >
> > Now, this being established, if we imagine instead that Stephen
> > Hawking were in that hospital instead of Terri, what would you do
> > about what is being done to him?
>
> ### Mike, are you saying that Ms Schiavo has ALS?

Show me where I said that. I did not. I said her responsiveness is no
less than Stephen Hawking. I assumed, perhaps, that your reading
comprehension was higher.

Terri's ability to move is perhaps even greater than Hawking, because
at least she can grunt and groan words roughly.

Now, I have to ask: are you saying that Stephen Hawking with ALS has
more right to live only because he can articulate due to many years of
technological assistance, but Terri does not because she suffered under
her husbands neglect?

> Aren't you overstepping your limitations here?

I suppose only in assuming you wouldn't commit ad hominem and hyperbole
and misrepresentation.

BTW: corrections to others' statements: Terri does not have to live on
the public dime, her parents have offered to take her home and care for
her at their own expense. Nor is she living on the public dime now, she
is living on a $1.3 million court award, which her husband wants the
remainder of, which is why he is on record saying "When is that bitch
gonna die?"

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com