Betting on dinosaurs was Re: [extropy-chat] Formulating a bet

Neil Halelamien neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:59:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:54:58 -0800 (PST), "Hal Finney" <hal at finney.org> wrote:
> Rafal writes:
> > I am willing to bet that:
> >
> > 1) In no more than 20 years the T.rex genome will be sequenced.
> >
> > 2) In no more than fifty years a T.rex or another dinosaur will be cloned and
> > hatched.
> >
> > Any takers?
>
> The FX idea futures game has had a claim since 1996 about whether a
> dinosaur will be recreated by 2050.  For about the last 6 years it
> has been trading in the 40-50 percent range.  I haven't seen too much
> price movement with this recent news, but it is certainly a fascinating
> discovery.

Here's a link to the actual claim:

http://www.ideosphere.com/fx-bin/Claim?claim=Dino

It's currently at 41

"By 1/1/2050, one or more living large dinosaurs will have been
(re)created and will have been be displayed to the public. For
purposes of this claim, a "large dinosaur" is an animal massing more
than 200kg, with a skeletal structure substantially identical in both
size and shape to one of the many fossilized skeletons of the extinct
animals which were known to science as dinosaurs on 1/1/1996. For
purposes of this claim, birds are not dinosaurs."