[extropy-chat] New Scientist: 13 things that do not make sense

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 13:32:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:16:38 +0100, Amara Graps
<Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it> wrote:
> New Scientist: 13 things that do not make sense
> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600

Not a bad roundup of current apparent anomalies, though some silliness
and basic errors as well.

> In fact, the strong nuclear force that would hold them together is tuned in such a way that it can't even hold two lone neutrons together, let alone four.

I was under the impression that the strong nuclear force can happily
hold neutrons together, it's just that in the absence of protons,
neutrons decay with a half-life of about 12 minutes (plenty long
enough for a tetraneutron to show up at a detector); someone correct
me if I'm wrong?

- Russell