[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 22:46:01 UTC 2005

<http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1010049&tw=wn_wire_story>
> Attorneys: Schiavo Settlement Money Spent  Saturday, March 26, 2005
>
> More than half of the $700,000 earmarked from the malpractice award
> for Terri Schiavo's care has been spent for that purpose, with the
> rest going toward litigation, said Deborah Bushnell, one of Michael
> Schiavo's attorneys.
> Today, the money from the lawsuit settlement is almost gone, Grieco,
> the attorney, says. Just $40,000 to $50,000 remained as of mid-March.
> The $700,000 in Terri's trust has paid for her care, lawyers, expert
> medical witnesses. Michael Schiavo's $300,000 share evaporated years
> ago, he says.
>
> Looks like the fight was over the parents wanting a share of the
> husbands settlement of $300,000 (which they were not entitled to
> under
> Florida law). Now all the money has gone. Even the lawyers are not
> getting paid. The care home is not getting paid. Medicaid pays the
> (small) medical bills.

$700k for legal bills? That is an expensive hit man contract. There are
plenty of people that do that sort of wet work for under $50k. I
suppose getting the state to do your dirty work for you is a bit higher
price tag and comes with partial immunity. Just goes to show that
private industry is more efficient, I suppose.

The fact still remains that her parents are willing to care for her at
their own expense at home.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com