[extropy-chat] Re: Betting on dinosaurs

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 28 00:33:33 UTC 2005

ben wrote:
> Hatch an egg?
>
> This made me smile.
>
> Which currently existing animal is going to lay a T-Rex egg?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (i think we can rule out chickens, turkeys, ducks and pigeons)
>
> Maybe you need to think about recreating giant moas or something before
> you try to recreate massive thunder lizards.
>
> ben

A quick google couldn't get an exact size, but a lot of general
comments about dinosaur eggs being small for the size of the adults.
If an ostrich egg isn't large enough, they will have to make an
artificial egg.
Compared to the rest of the problems I think putting the contents
of a current egg in a tank and adding a lot of extra yolk and/or
egg white would be fairly easy. If they go that route, I think a
crocodile egg may be a good base to start on, they haven't changed
much in long enough that they practically are dinosaurs.

-David