[extropy-chat] Thoughts on Schiavo

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Mar 28 02:32:53 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

> Of course there is no valid comparison with a cryonically suspended
> human, although that comparison has sometimes been drawn (but not, I
> feel sure, by the weeping faithful keeping vigil). Such a dead body is
> also flatlined, but the brain has not been significantly eaten away,
> just stopped. Future science might revive those frozen neurons, but they
> have to be there in the first place. Someone might eventually clone a
> Terri twin, but her history would of course be utterly different.

Even if the cerebral cortex is severely atrophied, there might be enough
data there to reconstruct Schiavo.  It's not a question of biological
healing, but a question of information theory, as I once said of
cryonics also.

If I were Schiavo's husband I would not keep her on the feeding tube.
I'd remove the feeding tube, wait for clinical death (damn the law), and
then freeze Schiavo immediately before any further atrophy occurred - as
should have been done years ago.

If that wasn't possible for some reason, I would keep Schiavo on the
feeding tube and hope an SI could reconstruct her.

I once thought of calling what I served the "ethos of life".  I guess
the "culture of life" business has ruined that terminology for public
usage.  Yet life is worth serving.  Where there's intelligence there's hope.