[extropy-chat] Allowing drug companies to market enhancements

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Mon Mar 28 02:45:56 UTC 2005

Apologies for cross-posting...

Currently, the FDA forbids drug manufacturers from touting the potential
"non-medical" (i.e., enhancement-related) benefits of their products.
This results in there being little incentive for pharmaceutical
companies to run clinical trials of enhancement-related effects of
drugs, which in turn is potentially dangerous since people seeking
enhancement effects have no clear guidelines in terms of dosages, etc.

Right now, if a company comes up with an Alzheimers' drug that also
helps memory in healthy people, that second effect can't be advertised,
and won't be fully investigated by the company because of it.

I'm kicking around an idea to set up an effort to lobby the FDA to
change this pratice, allowing pharmaceutical companies to market their
products for non-medical uses. In essence, that same drug company could
advertise its new drug as being effective for memory enhancement,
assuming it went through clinical trials equivalent to those necessary
to prove its effectiveness in treating disease.

I'm not advocating cutting any safety corners; exactly the opposite.
Just give drug companies the opportunity to market their products for
uses other than merely treating disease; force them to perform rigorous
clinical trials, but let them publish guidelines for safe use. Let them
help us be "better than well".

My question is, would you support such an effort? Any ideas as to how to
go about it most effectively?

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
http://www.humanenhancement.com
New Jersey Transhumanist Association: http://www.goldenfuture.net/njta
PostHumanity Rising: http://transhumanist.blogspot.com/