[extropy-chat] the ultimate free market - a warning to us all

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 06:59:38 UTC 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/africa/2004/somalia/default.stm

> This should be a nice discussion point for free
> marketeers and minarchists - apparently it is good
> to have some government.

 As per the subject heading, I don't think zero
government, or anarchy, equates to "free market." The
concept of free markets is classically predicated on
existence of (1) private property, (2) contract law,
and (3) tort liability. Most free-market advocates
presume as a given that these conditions are to be
safeguarded by an established and stable minimal state
with few if any duties there beyond. As such, anarcho
Somalia is not a proper example of what is classically
referred to by the term "free market."

~Ian