[extropy-chat] the ultimate free market - a warning to us all

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 16:10:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:48:08 -0800 (PST), Mike Lorrey wrote:

> It seems to me that the only real problems in Somalia is an oversupply
> of people whose only salable skill is pulling a trigger, and an
> undersupply of aid workers who are willing to carry their own weapons.

And what's the point of that, exactly?
So the aid workers go in armed convoys, tooled up with sub-machine guns.

The gangsters will just take the aid from the non-gangster population.

Solution - obviously even more guns, until every man, woman and child
is armed to the teeth and everyone takes what they can get until they
come up against a bigger gun, or a bigger gang of guns.

And who's looking after the sick or disabled while all this is going on?
Who's planting the crops and looking after the infrastructure?

What fighting gang wants to be weighed down by supporting non-fighters
in their gang?
No point, when you can just take what you want.

Nice free independent lifestyle. :(

BillK