[extropy-chat] Re: Betting on Dinosaurs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 01:54:25 UTC 2005

Um... ultimate fitness trainers? I mean if THEY were
roaming the streets, I would definately make more of
an effort to stay in shape. A bioweapon perhaps? Many
possibilities, none that are practical. But nobody
ever accused H. sapiens of being practical right?

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What would T-Rex be good for-- security at maximum
> prisons?
>

> --- ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
> > Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> >  > Ben wrote:
> >  >> Hatch an egg?
> >  >>
> >  >> This made me smile.
> >  >>
> >  >> Which currently existing animal is going to
> lay
> > a T-Rex egg?
> >
> >  > Crocodile, ostrich, some interim step between
> > those and a dinosaur.
> >  > It's going to take several steps.
> >
> >  >> Any suggestions?
> >  >>
> >  >> (i think we can rule out chickens, turkeys,
> > ducks and pigeons)
> >
> >  > Why?
> >
> > Well, i may be wrong about just how big a T-Rex
> egg
> > would be, but i
> > doubt if any of those birds would be capable of
> > laying one!
> >
> > Assuming that's how it would work, of course.
> >
> > David wrote:
> >
> >  > A quick google couldn't get an exact size, but
> > lot of general
> >  > comments about dinosaur eggs being small for
> the
> > size of the adults.
> >  > If an ostrich egg isn't large enough, they will
> > have to make an
> >  > artificial egg.
> >
> > This leads me to wonder about the whole thing.
> > something that lays a
> > shelled egg is probably a completely different
> > kettle of, er, fish to
> > produce than, say, a mammal (or a fish).
> >
> >  > compared to the rest of the problems I think
> > putting the contents
> >  > of a current egg in a tank and adding a lot of
> > extra yolk and/or
> >  > egg white would be fairly easy. If they go that
> > route, I think a
> >  > crocodile egg may be a good base to start on,
> > they haven't changed
> >  > much in long enough that they practically are
> > dinosaurs.
> >
> > Yeah, you might well have to do something like
> this.
> >
> > Crocodiles pre-date dinosaurs, though, and they
> are
> > not closely related,
> > despite their looks. I think birds are closer.
> > This might not be a bar on using them, though.
> > Although the fact that
> > crocodiles lay leathery eggs, and afaik, T-Rex
> laid
> > hard-shelled eggs
> > (not sure about this, though) might introduce
> > complications.
> >
> > I think there's probably a long way to go before
> we
> > see dinosaurs
> > walking around. Lots of other things, like
> > Thylacenes,  Woolly Mammoths,
> > Woolly Rhinos, etc., first.
> >
> > ben

The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson