Sidebar Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Formulating a bet

Slawomir Paliwoda velvethum at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 06:19:23 UTC 2005

>> Unfortunately, 95% of people who talk about preservation of self don't
>> even understand the problem so the solution continues to mystify
>> them.

> Be careful that you don't mistake a difference in prioritisation of
> interests
> to your own to ignorance and mystification in others. Sometimes you
> may think there is a disagreement when there isn't.

When I say that people don't understand the problem I mean exactly that. It
doesn't really matter how much they care about the problem. They are still
wrong to think that preservation of self works by preservation of brain
structure - an insufficient solution applied to a visible subproblem of an
obscure problem.

> I think you want to talk about your ideas with respect to identity and
> self and cryonics etc. I think your ideas are good ones. I just personally
> don't want to talk about them right now. I *would* like to see you put
> them into a paper.
>
> Regards,
> Brett Paatsch

I don't want to talk about my ideas on self on a mailing list either because
the topic is too complicated to explain in 2-3 posts and will surely drown
in the usual mailing list noise. I just wanted to signal that some problems
recent discussion on this list has tried to address have already been
solved. And yes, an informal document explaining these solutions has been in
the works.

Slawomir