[extropy-chat] Calling all EvoPsych Jedi...

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Fri May 6 23:51:33 UTC 2005

At 09:19 PM 5/5/2005, Keith Henson wrote:
>>Am I missing something here based on an insufficiently deep knowledge
>>of EP? Can anyone shed some light on why so many professors seem to
>>think EP is crap?
>
>You will find that most of them are social "science" people and EP pretty
>much junks their entire life work, and all the theories back to the
>beginning of time for their fields.  EP does integrate psychology and
>related subjects seamlessly into the rest of human knowledge where
>currently the social sciences are this floating blob with no underpinnings.
>The rest of science is really one piece where the divisions between
>chemistry and physics are more historical than an actual discontinuity. ...
>I predict that EP and related evolutionary understandings will displace
>virtually all of social science, kind of like plate tectonics displaced
>theories in geology.
>But it will take the present generation of social "science" professors
>dying off to do it.

I don't plan on dying off anytime soon, and as economics is a social
science, I must be one of these professors you are talking about.  I'm a
big fan of evol pysch, and its expectation of functionality behind most
behavior is close to a similar expectation of economists.  Economics is
already quickly moving to integrate EP insights as they come along.  I see
little chance of EP displacing economics, nor should it.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323