[extropy-chat] Casimir Torque Project

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat May 7 22:15:22 UTC 2005

--- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > Again, at this point it looks like the only real way to see what
> will
> > > happen is to actually build it and observe.  I've lost track of
> how
> > > much time I spent going over the theoretical problems, but in the
> > > end, science is about actual experiments.
> >
> >Not on this list, it's about giving flippant and self assured
> >excuses for doing nothing and why whoever is doing something
> > is wasting their time and list bandwidth.
>
> Mike are you accusing the extropy-chat this list of being flippant?
> Are you claiming that people on this list do nothing?

Those on this list with the most self assured excuses for why what
others are doing is impossible, improbable, stupid, sure to fail,
contrary to physics, etc. generally are the do-nothing types who do not
take personal responsibility for making the future happen. There are
people on this list who do not fit the above description, but IMHO
there are far too many who do for a supposedly 'extropic' group.

This list was once about challenging the limits on what it means to be
human in this universe. Adrian's work is the first truly original work
I've seen a list member do in several years, yet there are those here
who see fit to dismiss it based on one sketch and a few paragraphs of
text. This is far too cynical a view for a list that once believed in
dynamic optimism.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com