[extropy-chat] Calling all EvoPsych Jedi...

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun May 8 00:19:10 UTC 2005

At 01:53 PM 07/05/05 -0400, you wrote:

>>>What exactly status is and what people use to infer it and produce it
>>>remain big open questions, and have been for a long time, long before EP
>>>was popular.  They remain so even within EP.  These questions are far
>>>from trivial.
>>
>>... It never occurred to me that there would be controversy about what
>>status is (at least in hunter gatherer tribes and chimpanzee groups) or
>>why (after applying EP) people and chimps would seek it.
>>
>>"Of all the things which have been measured in such representative
>>ancestral environments as we have, social standing or status is the
>>most predictive of reproductive success. ... It makes sense for
>>hunters who brought in the first meat the tribe has seen in six weeks
>>to get a lot of attention (a mark of status) ...
>>http://human-nature.com/nibbs/02/cults.html ...
>>I am not aware of a refutation of the points made in this article. ...
>
>Yes, status can be measured just by asking people "who has high status?"
>But measured with substantial error - people often answer this quite
>differently.  In any case that is very different from understanding
>exactly what contributes how much to status.  Sure bringing in the first
>meat in six weeks helps, but how much compared to other things?  I don't
>say your article is wrong, I say it doesn't answer the question.

Well, "what is status" wasn't the question the article was intended to
answer.  The article was trying to account for why people do really hard to
understand  things like join a cult and cut their balls off.  Or of equal
effect in genetic terms, why become a celibate priest in a long established
religion?

But I venture to say that the different ways people answer "who has high
status" would be predictable using EP.  A person moving up in status and
his supporters would probably have a higher opinion of his status than the
people supporting the "old guard."  And it would not surprise me to find
that women in a group might have a different average status estimate than
the men do.

I think we can go further and propose that status is the integral of
attention, and that attention itself produces an immediate chemical
reward.  Those of us who have done public speaking are usually aware of the
buzz we get from attention.  The concept of chemically activated reward
circuits is well supported by fMRI studies of recent years.

There are pointers to researchers here:

"Hijacking the Brain Circuits With a Nickel Slot Machine" By SANDRA
BLAKESLEE,  New York Times, February 19, 2002

http://www.vivaconsulting.com/education/hijacking.html

EP can deal with high measurement error for concepts like status in
answering the question of why people work so hard for status.  The answer,
in common with a lot of other answers from EP, is that ancestors who did so
left more descendents than those who did not.

Unlike dragging meat back to a hunter gatherer camp, most things we do for
status today (such as posting on mailing lists) don't seem to have much
effect on how many descendents we have.

:-)

Keith Henson