[extropy-chat] Moral relativism

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun May 8 02:56:42 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:

> Jef wrote:
>
>> A moral relativist might say "Whether or not Sue should keep or abort
>> the baby depends upon the circumstances.

Actually, ben made that statement.

My desire with regard to this discussion is to eventually get beyond
specific actions which may be considered moral or immoral, get beyond
the various stands people take on moral issues based on evolved biases
and cultural and personal beliefs, and then show that between the
absolutist position and the relativist position there may be a very
practical way of looking at these kinds of issues that is not
free-floating or fixed, but grows with the complexity of the issues.

- Jef