[extropy-chat] Casimir Torque Project

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 8 07:56:21 UTC 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Greg Burch <gregburch at gregburch.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey Mike -- this is an email list, not a points-counting club.
>>

> Coulda fooled me. The BBS quite clearly has karma points on each user
> by which the irate can browbeat and depersonate those they disagree
> with to enforce list orthodoxy and malaise.

That's quite a statement form the biggest bully on the list. About
browbeating and denigrating those who disagree with you I acknowledge
your mastery.  Who do you think you are that we would care who is and
is not on your positive list? I am sorry if you chafe at the
reputation you have built for yourself.   Karma trues us up.

> There is a distinct difference between moving things along and holding
> things back, downplaying things, cynically denigrating things.
> There is
> a pernicious virus of cynicism, negativity, and armchair
> quarterbacking
> going on on this list which is highly unextropic.

You believe you are the solution somehow?  Newton help us.   But I do
agree that there is indeed a lot of all of those things.  Along with
a grandstanding, chest thumping, ducking hard issues, denial, self
congratulation, culture blindness and many other less than helpful
traits.   Welcome to the human condition.  The day you learn to lift
the spirits, enhance the contribution, actually fully listen to and
appreciate each person on this list is the day I will believe you
have positive useful guidance to give.   In the meantime it is hard
to see.

- samantha