[extropy-chat] Re: moral relativism

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sun May 8 11:04:33 UTC 2005

samantha said:

"The discussion was not about absolutism or at least I hope it has not
gone that far astray from anything worth talking about."

"In this you have made the entire discussion more of a fruitless
muddle than it was.  Congratulations."

Well, i'm sorry if i'm contributing to the muddle, that's obviously not
my intention.

I can see what you're saying about absolutism vs objectivism, but as i
said, i think that the pope's original announcement was not about
relative morality as opposed to objective morality - i.e., moral
arguments based on objective reality - but about relative moral
viewpoints as opposed to absolute ones (he's a PRIEST. What does he care
about objective reality? He cares about what god tells him is the
absolute truth). This discussion has drifted away from that, and i was
trying to point this out.
You might think that absolutism isn't worth talking about, and
personally, i would tend to agree - in an ideal world. But there are
many people who have absolutist viewpoints, and some of them are very
influential. This makes it worth talking about. here's an example of why
(taken from a recent letter in the New Scientist): The catholic church
knows perfectly well that their policies on AIDS prevention are killing
people. They know this and approve of it, because they know that "The
wages of sin are death". This is hardly a moral stance derived from
objective reality.

I'm just trying to understand things, same as everybody else. Sometimes
this means more muddle before things (hopefully) become clearer. Being a
bear of little brain, i was a bit confused about the use of the term
'objective', now i think i understand better.

Jef said:

"Giulio, do you think *all* moral issues are equally relative, or was
this an exceptionally easy case?

What if Sue were contemplating murdering some adult, perhaps based on
simple jealousy.  Would you still say that the answer is simply that Sue
should do as she wants?"

I would doubt that Guilio (or anyone in their right mind) would say that
people should do whatever they want. This is not what moral relativism
is, although many people try to portray it as such.

I get the impression that the phrase 'moral relativism' is being taken
to mean different things to different people.

Just what do the people here understand it to mean? Ditto with moral
objectivism.

ben