[extropy-chat] Bioethics Essay- Why Therapeutic Cloning is a Blessing and Not Murder

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 24 02:03:26 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> It could also be pointed out that the notion that it is against God's
> wishes that we use this knowledge is itself a mere opinion of
> fallible human beings.   It is not holy writ or directly supported by
> such.

Of course it is.
We allegedly got kicked out of Eden for doing just that and now you want
to compound the sin...
That's the answer the fundies will drop on you first, and that's even
before the theological heavyweights lay in.
IMO it is pointless to argue theology for several reasons.
The first is because most Transhumanists are not only ignorant of
theology but are proud of the fact. The naivety of what passes for
theological discussion on these lists is appalling, and if I didn't know
better would consider it a deliberate parody. Second, by arguing a
specific *type* of theology you are agreeing to play by *their* rules,
and you'll lose. Third, it is a dubious strategy to attempt to play to
the hicks and ignore the theologians, simply because the hicks will
listen to the opinions of those theologians and trust their opinion over
that of outsiders, even if they do not understand the fine points.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org