Question for Samantha on religion in the US? (was Re: [extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed May 25 02:27:10 UTC 2005

I've spent the past two weeks moving and unpacking.  Between that and
the day job not a lot has been done.

I looked briefly online at the qualifications required principally by
the IRS.  They are largely written in such a way that almost no new
religion or even most bootstrapped branch churches of existing
religions could possibly qualify.    The specter of the IRS
determining what makes a religion a religion is appalling.

Thank you for your kind offer but my energies for now are going into
creating the base level teachings, memetics and substance of the
religion rather than fighting through IRS nonsense.   Without that
the legalisms are pointless.

- samantha