[extropy-chat] Original Sin was Bioethics Essay

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed May 25 06:39:52 UTC 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Terrible theology Dirk. Jesus corrected his fathers action and gave us
> everlasting life, as any Christian knows. He died to reopen the gates
> of heaven to man, which man had been barred from since Adam was cast
> out of Eden. That was the whole point of Christ dying on the cross for
> man.

Many Christians do not hold to such an interpretation. It makes God a
bloody unforgiving tyrant who would hold his own known design flaws
in the creation of humanity against humans forever.  All this
nonsense about demanding a blood sacrifice and so on!   Jesus died
because he threatened the religious and secular order of the day.
That it was used  as good memetic theater to attempt to get the
Jewish people over their perpetual guilt trip and rule of the law
stuck-ness is true enough.  But the dying on the cross for man stuff
was added long (over a century iirc) afterward.    Crucifying such a
one needs a powerful explanation if it is not to produce massively
more guilt.   Personally I think the guilt would have been better
than the evils of this interpretation.

- samantha