[extropy-chat] Re: Stem Cell politics in the US: House Votes to Ease Stem Cell Restrictions

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 21:37:10 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> --- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> > But this is so easily resolved. All the president needs to do is
> > redefine these embryos as Iraqi bystanders,
>
> No can do: they're American citizens if they (would be) born on
> American soil; it'd requrie a constitutional amendment to change
> that, and try though he has, he hasn't been able to get any amendment
> saying anything about biotech through Congress.
>
> > or induct them into the American
> > armed forces.
>
> No can do: there's a minimum age limit to serve in the armed forces,
> and he'd alienate what support he had if he tried to do away with it
> to that extent.

Ah, but considering that everyone is now forcibly issued a SSN these
days, there is no reason they can't register everyone for the Selective
Service at birth....;) As facetious as Damien's comment is, there are
limits to government authority, but I would sincerely like to see the
government try a few such outlandishly fascist measures. It might
finally wake people up.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com