[extropy-chat] Report from Balticon

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Mon May 30 01:30:20 UTC 2005

I've just returned from a most extraordinary visit to Balticon
(http://www.balticon.org), the annual convention of the Baltimore
Science Fiction Society. I had arranged to get an exhibitor table, and
was scheduled (along with fellow WTA member Jeff Medina, who also held
the banner high for SIAI and was a welcome expert on the many questions
that came up on the subject of artificial general intelligence) to give
two talks on >H as part of the science track of presentations on
Saturday (family commitments prevented me from staying through Monday,
even though the convention was still going strong when I left).

I arrived on Friday afternoon and set up the info table with a number of
flyers (downloadable from the WTA website--
http://transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/resources/) I had printed out, as
well as literature from Alcor (http://www.alcor.org), the New Jersey
Transhumanist Association (http://www.goldenfuture.net/njta) and my own
Center for Human Enhancement (http://www.humanenhancement.com). I didn't
stay around on Friday night, as I was due at some friends' house, but
figured a few interested early-comers might take some flyers.

Boy, did they! When I arrived to man the table on Saturday morning,
almost all of the flyers I had left the night before had been taken. I
know it wasn't a case of someone just cleaning off the table, as
_everything_ wasn't gone, but 90% of what had been there wasn't there
any more. I was starting to feel good about this event. I put out more
of the literature I had brought with me, set up the signs and
literature-holders, and hung up the 6' vinyl WTA banner in front of the
table, and even before I could sit down, folks were coming up and asking
me questions about Transhumanism; turns out some of them had read the
flyers from the day before and wanted to know more! Many folks stopped
by and said they had seen our presentations in the convention schedule
and were very interested and planning on attending.

I was definitely feeling good about this. In fact, by the time Saturday
was over, four new people had signed up as WTA members on the spot, and
many more said they would do so on the website.

Throughout the morning, there was such a crush of people asking
questions, taking literature, and so forth that I barely had time to
take a ten-minute break and scan through the dealers' area for souvenirs
for my wife and daughter. Certainly I wasn't going to be attending any
of the programming myself.

In the nick of time, Jeff showed up for our first presentation at 1 PM,
"An Introduction to Transhumanism". Without the benefit of any
PowerPoint slides, any script, or really any preparation, we held an
audience of 40 or so people enthralled with our description of the
promise of Transhumanism. Almost as soon as our first sentence had been
uttered, hands went up with questions, and the hour went by in an
instant. Folks followed us back to the table, engaged in deep and
thoughtful conversations.

The 6 PM presentation, "Anti-Transhumanist Themes in 'Star Trek'" (based
on a paper I am submitting to JET) was an even better success. The
audience was completely engaged, asking really deep, penetrating
questions, and the whole thing was completely fun, being bound together
by examples from the various 'Star Trek' series that the audience could
relate to directly. Naturally, it wasn't all on a science fiction plane,
as we took pains to keep reminding everyone that these technologies are
going to be here long before the 23rd century. After this presentation
was over, we stayed in the room for a full 45 minutes past the end,
chatting and answering questions from the audience, until we were
compelled to leave by the staff (we were the last presentation in the
room, but it needed to be set up for the costume contest later that
evening). The conversation continued, once again, as we repaired to our
exhibitor table. (Both presentations were videotaped, and I'll try to
make a digitized version available on the WTA website as soon as practical.)

This was such a different experience from my time at Lunacon. I can only
think that it is the nature of the convention which accounts for the
difference in response. Lunacon is primarily a literary science fiction
convention, without any sort of science programming, and I think the
people who attend reflect that emphasis. Balticon is a much larger
convention, and has a well-established science programming track, and
some people come just for that. Even those people who never go to the
science programming are more (pro-)scientifically-oriented, and I think
they regard the science programming track much like some people regard
the existence of their city's philharmonic orchestra; they don't want to
go see it, but they feel a certain comfort that it is there.

This isn't to say that everything was wine and roses, of course. There
were a few folks who were cautious at best regarding >H's claims
regarding the promise of technology, and they certainly gave spirited
arguments. Some folks had their own axes to grind, and imposed their
expectations on >H and found it lacking. But on the whole, >H was
extremely well-received by many people at Balticon, and I find the
experience completely positive overall. I will hopefully be attending
several more such conventions in the coming year.

We've been invited back to Balticon next year, and I will certainly take
them up on it. And next time, I'll have a few PowerPoint presentations
with me.

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
PostHumanity Rising: http://transhumanist.blogspot.com/ (updated today!)